Take A Front Seat Ride On The New ORION GIGA Coaster At Kings Island
“Orion reflects Kings Island’s commitment to providing top notch thrills and value to our guests,” said Mike Koontz, Kings Island’s vice president and general manager. “Coaster enthusiasts from around the world are adding Orion to their list of must-ride coasters in 2020.”Orion was exclusively designed for Kings Island by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, which also designed the park’s popular Banshee and Diamondback coasters. They also designed the extremely popular and highly regarded Leviathan and Fury 325 coasters found at sister Cedar Fair parks. Orion’s Backstory Themed to the park’s new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing. The ride’s stats will place it among the tallest and fastest coasters in the world: Height of First Drop: 300 feet Length of First Drop: 447 feet Top Speed: 91 mph Track Length: 5,321 feet Total Number of Hills: 8 Height of Hills: 287 feet, 174 feet, 202 feet, 56 feet, 147 feet, 125 feet, 90 feet, 83 feet Ride Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard Duration: 3 minutes Trains: 3 trains with 8 cars. Riders are seated 4 across in a single row for a total of 32 riders per train Capacity: 1,650 riders per hour Minimum Height Requirement: 54 inches The ride vehicle, which is the first of 8 cars that will be positioned on each of three trains, features the traditional B&M look. Take an up close look below. Kings Island has put stringent health, safety, and hygiene protocols in place to allow a safe re-opening. Kings Island will open first to those with season passes on Thursday, July 2 through Saturday, July 11. Then, starting Sunday, July 12, everyone, including season passholders and those with tickets, will be admitted. Reservations are required to enter the park as there will be limited capacity and operating hours. Reservations are required and can be made now online at KingsIsland.com or on the Kings Island App. New protocols to create a safe and clean environment include:
- A new online reservation system; each guest is required to have a reservation prior to their visit to enable capacity management;
- A requirement to complete a pre-visit health screening declaration 24 hours prior to admission;
- A touchless temperature screening prior to entering the facility for both guests and associates;
- Requirements for all guests, associates and vendors to wear masks as directed by the protocols
- Social distancing markers throughout the park, including ride queue lines;
- Limited guest/associate contact;
- Enhanced cleaning procedures, including additional deep cleaning and sanitization of restrooms, dining facilities and other busy areas;
- Additional hand sanitization stations; and
- Capacity management throughout the park.
MORE GREAT VIDEOS!