Quassy Opens New Waterslide Complex With Commercial Photoshoot
Quassy, the historic amusement park in Connecticut, is opening a new attraction in their Splash Away Bay waterpark named Category 5 Rapids – Extreme Waterslides. Built by the renowned slide manufacturer ProSlides, this new complex consists of two tube slides along with a funnel slide.
The new raft rides will have a combined length of more than 1,000 feet and are being located in what was a picnic grove area of the property adjacent to the existing waterpark. To open the new attraction, Quassy is hosting a commercial shoot on Saturday, June 2, starting at 11 am. Quassy is inviting the public! For those wanting to participate, please note the following:
- All-day wristband or separate waterpark admission purchase is necessary for everyone entering Splash Away Bay waterpark.
- Height requirements apply to participate on the new water raft rides. Those 42 to 48 inches must be accompanied by an adult. Over 48 inches may ride alone.
- A signed photo release form must be presented to participate in the filming. Click here to download the form.
- Swimwear with logos cannot be filmed due to trademark/copyright issues. Please plan accordingly.
- Most importantly: Have fun while the park captures the new slides on video and still shots. While the park cannot guarantee everyone will appear in the commercial, they do anticipate using numerous close-up and group shots on the slides.
“We considered a number of names put on the table and Category (class) 5 really was the best fit as it relates to extreme river rapids rafting,” Quassy President Eric Anderson said of the selection. “While other elements in Splash Away Bay waterpark are certainly fun and exciting, these three new raft rides will take the experience to another level.”“These are massive slides with each one providing a different experience,” Anderson explained. “They incorporate some of the newest and most exciting technology in our industry.”
The largest of the three giant slides is TantrumTWIST, also known as TORNADO, which will accommodate two-person rafts.
The patented funnel shape flushes riders up the TANTRUM walls, oscillates each tube multiple times and generates the suspended-weightlessness sensation that is unique to ProSlide funnel rides.
After dropping into the funnel, riders are swept up the wall to the equator line, which is actually perpendicular to the ground. The ride creates the illusion of going over the edge and keeps even the craziest thrill enthusiasts returning for more.
Two gigantic PIPEline serpentine slides will round out the three-ride attraction. The new slides will all depart from one platform and conclude in runoff troughs near Saturation Station interactive water play area. The PIPEline slides are designed for single or two-rider rafts.
In addition to the new slides, Quassy will also construct Splash Away Bay Café & Deck overlooking Lake Quassapaug. Guests at Quassy Beach and the waterpark will be able to purchase food and beverages at the café and enjoy rooftop seating.
Anderson noted that the waterpark expansion is “the single-largest investment in the park’s history“.