A First Look At What’s New For Cedar Point In 2017!
If you’re already counting down to May 6 like we are, we’re here to bring you some exclusive information from Cedar Point’s annual Winter Chill Out event that will help you get through the next 69 days (but who’s counting?!).
The most anticipated addition for 2017 is Cedar Point Shores, the re-branding of what used to be Soak City. The park announced early this month that construction on the new slides had gone vertical and we got to take an up close look at the construction site. In addition, the old entrance to the park from the Challenge Park is being re-done to eliminate the tunnel. A new building combines the ticket window with Magnum’s photo area. The exit ramp of Magnum will be adjusted slightly to fit in with the new structures. Cedar Point Shores will make its big debut on May 27 with a brand new entrance gate! The park’s new buildings are set up to give a “village square” feel as you enter. Take a look!
In the video below, Cedar Point Shores project manager Adam Pooch tells us more about what’s happening and what to expect once Cedar Point Shores is complete.
In addition to Cedar Point Shores, here’s a list of other changes you’ll be able to spot around the park this season!
- Additions to the barnyard area including more camels, new yaks, and additional space for the Emus
- Hand led miniature pony rides on frontier trail
- Addition of season drink pass that lets you use cups instead of purchasing a bulky souvenir cup
- Joe Cool Cafe will be replaced with Melt Bar & Grilled, opening late in May
- Breakers Express renovation to Cedar Point’s Express Hotel featuring all updated rooms and lobby
- Iron Dragon will have VR beginning at 6 PM running June 9-September 4. It will run as normal throughout the day and the rest of the season
- A new show called “Lights, Camera, Action” in the Jack Aldrich Theater that will immerse guests in a variety of movies spanning throughout the ages
- A new show called “Peanuts Perfect Day” on the stage in Celebration Plaza.
- Luminosity returns with all new special effects and music.
- All new trivia questions and new augmented reality in queue lines for the Battle for Cedar Point app
- Season Pass Preview Night will be held at Cedar Point Shores on May 26
- New expansion of Hotel Breakers will open in 2018 with 150 additional rooms
- Rip Cord was relocated to where Shoot the Rapids was and is re-branded as Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling
Although the lack of snow kept us from getting any of those gorgeous snow pictures, we still got some great shots of the park in hibernation.
When asked about any plans for Mean Streak, Cedar Point’s Director of Communications, Tony Clark said ”
“We will not mention Mean Streak anymore because it does not exist at Cedar Point anymore.” Clark continued with “We know everybody’s excited about what’s going on back there, I totally get it. I’m a big coaster fan myself. I love the park. I love new attractions and the new things we put in. But, we can’t really say anything about it until it makes sense for Cedar Point to say something about it. The timing is not now. I can’t say when that timing will be, but when it makes sense for us to say something about it you will definitely see it some time. I don’t know when, but some time“.
So, while there is no official release of Mean Streak’s fate, it’s quite obvious from all the photos floating around that Mean Streak is indeed being re-imagined. Check out some of the latest photos of Mean Streak courtesy of WKYC-TV Cleveland.
WKYC-TV got an exclusive interview with Tony Clark discussing in detail some of the changes you’ll be spotting around the park this season.
Stay connected with Coaster Nation!
Subscribe on YouTube!
MORE GREAT VIDEOS