World’s Steepest Coaster Topped off at NJ American Dream Meadowlands
Even though the 2018 season hasn’t started yet for most parks, many are already preparing for 2019. Looking ahead, 2019 is already shaping up to be an incredible year for thrill seekers. One of the highlights of the 2019 additions is the pair of Gerstlauer coasters being built at the American Dream Meadowlands complex in Rutherford, New Jersey.
American Dream will boast the largest mix of indoor facilities in the world, featuring a Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park and DreamWorks Waterpark. The complex will offer two record-breaking roller coasters by Gerstlauer, which are currently being constructed. They consist of an intertwined Launched Euro-Fighter with a beyond-vertical drop and a Spinning Coaster whose cars rotate on a vertical axis as they move along the track.
The Euro Fighter coaster appears to be a clone of Takabisha at Fuji-Q Highland theme park in Japan. Takabisha is currently the steepest coaster in the world as shown in the image below.
On March 28th, 2018, the tallest section of track was installed on the Euro Fighter coaster at American Dream complex. When completed, this coaster will be tied with Takabisha for the world’s steepest drop at a mind-numbing 121 degrees! We are curious to see how the marketing is handled since it will technically be tied for the steepest in the world.
It looks crazy with the new coaster sticking out of the roof!
Besides the record breaking Infinity coaster, the park also is installing another record breaking coaster – the world’s longest free-spinning coaster. The ride, also from Gerstlauer, will stand 85 feet tall and cars will travel over 2240 feet of track.
Gary Hanson, a management consultant at Triple Five who is developing the project said:
“These two coasters, appealing to thrill seekers, will break three world-records
combined! Gerstlauer has far exceeded our expectations with these new to market
coasters and we’re excited to have them on this journey with us,”
Below is a concept art image of how the two new coasters will look intertwined.
When completed in 2019, American Dream will consist of a 300,000 square foot Nickelodeon Universe and a 225,000 square foot DreamWorks Waterpark. This new complex will redefine the customer experience in shopping and leisure with a unique combination of retail, dining, entertainment and attractions – all in one location. Over 450 retail, food, and specialty shops will be complimented by North America’s largest fully-enclosed indoor DreamWorks Water Park, Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park, a 16-story Big Snow Indoor Ski & Snow Park, a live Performing Arts Theater, 285-foot tall Observation Wheel, luxury movie theatres by Cinemex, Sea Life Aquarium, Lego Discovery Center, NHL-size Ice Rink, and two 18-hole miniature golf attractions. The center will also feature The Collections – a luxury and fashion area in the property and The Dining Terrace – a collection of fifteen full-service restaurants showcased in one location in the center.
Here’s a look at the rides and slides map. The words are a little hard to read but it’s all that’s currently available.
Here’s a blueprint and model of the new Waterpark:
The new complex is shaping up to be the ultimate family experience featuring the largest mix of indoor facilities in the world, featuring a Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park and DreamWorks Waterpark.
This will be an exceptional destination for local residents and tourists that will be open 365 days a year! Aside from these two record breaking roller coasters, let’s take a closer look at what’s to come:
Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park:
- 300,000+ square feet of unique and innovative family entertainment
World’s Largest Indoor DreamWorks Waterpark:
- 225,000+ square feet of fun the entire family will enjoy
Big Snow America™ Indoor Ski Slope:
- First indoor ski and snowboard park in the Western Hemisphere
180,000 square feet of adventure, featuring an 800-foot (16-story) ski slope for skiing, snowboarding and tubing.
- 26 climate-controlled gondolas provide 15+ guests/car with 25 minute panoramic view of the New York City skyline
Performing Arts Theater:
- 65,000 square feet
- World-class intimate (1,500 seats) venue that will host live concerts and productions
NHL Sized Ice Rink:
- Indoor ice skating facility to host recreational hockey, figure skating programs/lessons, and public skating/events
Movie Theaters – Cinemex:
- As one of only four locations in the country, and the only location in the New York Metropolitan area, the 1,400 seat complex will host 12 duo screens, dine-in cinemas with private viewing rooms, oversize seating and Cinemex X4D. The X4D adventure engages all the senses with state of the art surround sound, moving seats, and an environment with wind, rain, snow, fog, and scents all synchronized to the on-screen action. This one of a kind experience will raise the bar for moviegoers and make watching your favorite movie truly unforgettable.
SEALIFE Aquarium and LEGOLAND – Merlin Entertainments:
- The SEALIFE and LEGOLAND Discovery Center complex will comprise over 70,000 square feet at American Dream.
- SEA LIFE is the world’s biggest aquarium brand with more than 50 major attractions across North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific including: London, Paris, Bangkok, Auckland, Orlando and others. American Dream will be the first and only SEA LIFE aquarium in the New Jersey/New York area. SEA LIFE will highlight spectacular displays of diverse marine life for visitors to enjoy – everything from shrimp and starfish to seahorses, sharks and rays. SEA LIFE will feature, as its stunning centerpiece, a tropical ocean tank with a walk-through underwater tunnel – taking visitors on a seamless journey under the sea which entertains, inspires and teaches both young and old. The attractions offer everything from spectacular viewing windows, giving a glimpse into the ocean itself, to enlightening talks, to feeding demonstrations and many other ways to interact directly with some of the incredible featured LEGOLAND Discovery Center, Merlin’s very popular and unique indoor family attraction based on the world’s favourite toy the LEGO® brick, will also be coming to American Dream. Described by the company as stepping into a giant box of LEGO, it has been designed specifically for families with children ages 3 to 10 to play together, offering a fun, highly interactive and educational two to three-hour indoor experience.
- Adventure Golf is an 18-hole miniature golf course certain to provide a fun adventure for the entire family
For more information, visit the American Dream website by clicking here.
Stay connected with Coaster Nation!
Subscribe to YouTube