Video: Wicker Man Roller Coaster Comes To Life At Alton Towers
In 2018 Alton Towers is debuting Wicker Man, the first wooden roller coaster to be built in the UK for 21 years, complete with the unique thrill of fire!
Wicker Man is a spectacular six-story (57.7ft) structure, featuring an impressive wooden structure with a human face on one side and ram’s head on the other—that bursts into flames as the train races through its chest. Today we received a first look video of the new ride testing with full fire effects. Check it our below along with an extended mix of our own!
Wicker Man Specs:
- The height of the Wicker Man structure is 17.55m (57.57ft)
- Over 40,000 tonnes of soil has been excavated to build the new attraction
- Track spans 2,000ft and is made from naturally treated timber, hand-carved specifically for the project.
- Every ride will house 2 trains, each made up of 6 wooden carriages carrying 12 passengers (24 passengers per ride).
- Alton Towers Resort has invested £16 British pounds ($22.34 million US Dollars) into the creation of Wicker Man which has been in development for the last four years.
- Wicker Man will open to the public this Spring.
Before boarding Wicker Man, riders will embark on a journey into the world of the Beornen, a secret community living in the woods around Alton. Lured in by chanting, rhythmic sounds and unseen eyes watching them, guests will be chosen’ to take part in the cinematic ‘preshow’ before braving the ride itself.
Francis Jackson, Operations Director at Alton Towers Resort, said:
“Wicker Man is Alton Towers’ most ambitious project to date and we’re really excited to finally reveal our newest thrill attraction to the world. We’ve spent four years creating an experience that is truly spectacular by investing in the latest technologies which combine wood, fire and special effects to give riders the genuine feeling that they will be racing though flames. We can’t wait for everyone to experience Wicker Man when the park opens this Spring.”
Alton Towers opens for their 2018 season on Saturday, March 17. For more information including tickets, visit the official Alton Towers Resort website by clicking here.
Stay connected with Coaster Nation!
Subscribe on YouTube!